Sunday, May 29, 2011

Road Trip Day 4 (a couple days late)

Whoo!  So sorry to not have posted but I'm sure you can find it in your heart to forgive me.

Let me give you a quick rundown of what our fourth and final day of travel was like:
  1. 5:54am (mountain time): CJ wakes up, so Chris and I wake up in our hotel in Denver, CO.
  2. Around 6:15am: Chris and CJ go down for breakfast while I get cleaned up.
  3. Around 7am: I go down for breakfast and the CJ hand-off takes place so Chris can pack up the room and get ready for travel.  I attempt to make a Belgian waffle while CJ alternates sitting at a table and running down a hall.  Finally, I give up and take the waffle upstairs to try to eat while CJ can run around the room.
  4. Around 7:30am: Chris and CJ head downstairs to try to load the car while I attempt to smuggle the cats out one by one... before Chris even gets down the hall, he warns me that the cleaning service is a couple doors down.
  5. Around 7:40am: I try to bring Baby Girl down covered with my jacket.  I think I'm being stealthy going past staff to the stairs but the realize after passing several people - Baby Girl's tail is down by my leg... *sigh*
  6. Around 7:45am: I give up being too stealthy and grab Houdini, cover him with my jacket and hoof it to the car.
  7. Around 7:50am: I am looking for Cassie... she is wedged between the headboard and the wall, but fortunately just close enough for me to pull the nightstand out, lay on the ground and barely reach her scruff to yank her hissing and growling from her "safe" spot.
  8. Around 8am: I have completely given up being stealthy and just make for the door.
  9. Around 8:05am: We are headed to Walmart and Starbucks for cold medicine and coffee, respectively.  We look back and CJ is passed out cold from lack of sleep.
  10. Around 8:15am: We are on the road!
So that was our morning.  Our intention was to hit the road early and make it all the way from Denver to Frisco... gas and go's the whole way.  Most of our family wanted us to stop in Oklahoma City to recharge our batteries and not push ourselves.  Chris and I just couldn't do that... three hours from home was too close to call it quits, so we pushed through.

And then... 32 miles from the Texas border on I-35 southbound at close to 9pm (central time), we spot a sign.  A construction sign.  A sign that reads expect stops... I'm pretty sure Chris and I just felt our hearts drop.  We spent the next 45 minutes stuck in traffic until finally it freed up.  They had closed the southbound lanes completely closed so traffic was being routed down to one lane in each direction... it was U-G-L-Y!!!  It was smooth sailing from there.  If anyone was outside when we crossed into Texas, you may have heard a loud "Whoohoo!!!"  That was us.

We finally made it to my parents' house around 11pm, I think.  We were beyond delirious but so happy.

CJ was a real trooper through all of this.  He still isn't quite back to himself - his schedule is so off and he's pretty much refusing sleep at this point.  I'm sure that will get better as we get settled.  Chris and I are looking for an apartment (or even better - a house) for rent and know that once we're settled with all our stuff back, the cats, CJ, Chris and I will finally feel at home.

So keep us in your prayers - that we find a great place to live and jobs (quickly).  I know we can use it!

And I know CJ isn't a native Texan, but we got him here as quick as we could!  A short four years and fourteen days after Chris and I moved... we were back in Texas.  Not that anyone is counting, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment